It’s that time of year when facebook is inundated with daily posts of what they are thankful for. I have toyed with the idea of doing the same thing (I just don’t have the dedication to share something each day). So here I am giving in. Don’t get me wrong, I love this time of year. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and I desire to live grateful for how wonderful my life really is. God is so good to me in ways that I struggle to express in words. So I have decided that I want to write out 31 things that I am thankful for this year. It will be set up as my remembrance point of the incredible things God has allowed me.
1. A breathtaking place to live that screams the glory of it’s Creator every day.
2. God’s endless grace that desires my heart and the option of repentance even when I feel like I’ve utterly blown it.
3. Friends who speak truth to me, give me grace, and allow me time to grow.
4. The people who faithfully offer to do grocery shopping for me just because they want to serve and support the ministry where God has placed me.
5. Laughter – especially when we’re laughing so hard that we can’t remember what started it in the first place.
6. God’s Word – For God seeing fit to reveal Himself through it, how it seems new every time I open it, and it’s deeply life changing power.
7. Village Bible Church – my extended family there and the way that they individually and collectively support me in many ways.
8. My parents – for raising me, loving the Lord, and quietly challenging me to follow Him.
9. My two wonderful nephews who make me laugh, remind me how to love and just enjoy life. (and for all the other children that I am privileged to be the aunt of, even though not biologically.)
10. Snow! – it’s beauty, source of fun and adventure, and just all around greatness!
11. God’s peace – I am so thankful for that peace that doesn’t make sense but calms my soul and reminds me that I am exactly where God wants me and that I should/can continue to trust Him.
12. A warm bed to rest in every night. I am not sure what I would do without it!
13. Handwritten notes that seem to arrive on the day that they’re most needed.
14. The ability to travel – to see new places, experience different cultures, and make lasting memories with wonderful friends.
15. Long hikes in the woods.
16. Working internet so that I can keep in touch with friends and family that are miles (and even oceans) away.
17. God’s provision – that God chose to use many generous people to meet my financial needs, and that is a reflection of all the other needs that He willingly meets every day just because He loves me.
18. Music – because it just makes life a little better.
19. The Routh family – their desire to make me a part of their family, teach me how to truly rest, and encourage me. For the ways that Kayden makes me laugh even when I don’t want to, melts my heart, and his “nickname” for me.
20. Ice cream – I don’t know who invented it, but they should receive an award. That stuff is just amazing!
21. Tanalian Leadership Center (& Tanalian Bible Camp)- I am humbled to be a part of this incredible program and I don’t even know how to praise God enough for it. I’m grateful for the opportunity to see each of the students (who become very dear to my heart) and staff (who are pretty great too) grow as we seek the Lord together. I am thankful for the way that SO MANY people see the value of this ministry and partner with us. God has worked here in so many ways and it’s a tremendous blessing to see it first-hand.
22. The Wardell Family – They really love me. They mentor me, help take care of me, and just desire the best for me. I am so thankful that they’ve been here to walk through this season of life with me and I look forward to continuing our friendship for years to come.
23. Rest – even if I battle against it on a daily basis, I am thankful that God brings true rest and that I work with a group of people that values truly resting in the Lord.
24. Lifelong friendships – the kind that pick up right where they left off even if I haven’t see the other person in many years. Those kind of friends are just good for my soul.
25. Wool (and other winter gear) – I just really like being warm and it can get really cold. I enjoy the simple pleasures in life 🙂
26. Prayer – the ability to share my heart with God, thank Him for all He does in my life, intercede for others, seek His will, gain wisdom, confess my sin, and know that through all of it He hears and understands me.
27. Hot beverages – I just love them. Tea. Good Coffee. Apple Cider. Hot Chocolate. Yum.
28. Port Alsworth’s Community – I just love this quirky little village that has so much personality. There’s always something interesting happening. I have grown to love the people here and what an example they are of love, joy, and trusting the Lord.
29. Planes, boats, snowmachines, & Hondas – they’re necessary sources of transportation, but also a source of fun. I am just really grateful for the ways they make life easier.
30. Jesus Christ – For His deep love, perfect life, demonstration of love & sacrifice, atoning work, resurrection, and hope of His return. He is the reason that I live and have hope for the future.
31. Growth – I can’t praise the Lord enough that I am not who I was a year ago. For the working of the Holy Spirit in my life and the ways He convicts me, fights for me, and reminds me I am never alone. Thank you, Lord, for the work you are doing in me!
As I wrote this I realized that 31 is not very many. I could keep going on and on, but I need to limit this. God has done so much in my life and I hope that I never stop seeing what God has done. It’s been encouraging to reflect on this year and see how truly blessed I am.